Monday, January 03, 2011

new year, new you?

Not really new me. Just more of me. I've apparently put on 20lbs in the last 2 years. This would be since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but the meds are supposed to keep any weight gain in check. Of course, then there's the moving in with S, plus even more settling in since we bought the house 10 months ago. Not to mention I've been on prednisone for 2 months.
Despite getting my ever-expanding behind to the gym 3 to 5 times every week, I seem to have a problem. I'm going to have to step it up even more in the minutiae that is calorie counting because I am seriously failing at something. And I'm pretty sure it's not that I now belong to a gym. Never in my life have I been a runner, but I actually enjoy the treadmill (to an extent). Maybe it's because I did a 5k in a decent time and didn't explode. Admittedly, it wasn't 100% running, but even 5 minutes at a stretch with intervals of jogging is impressive for me who couldn't finish the mile back in hs in the time required. In fact, I would totally go to the gym twice a day if work didn't hinder me. Mayhap the lottery pool at work will allow me to ramp up my gym activity. (Come on, big money!)
In one week, I should be done with the steroids. *fingers crossed* Hoping there will be no symptoms that lead me to have to start back on them. Maybe then I'll be able to dig in and at least lose 5lbs by my birthday on the 1st. Even 10% of my body weight at this point is a low goal. But I do have a workout buddy & that is some motivation. I always hated the thought of someone seeing me in all my red, sweaty glory, but the high from the workout has diminished my vanity to some extent. Perhaps I'm less concerned in my old age.
So this is my non-resolution, new year's resolution. Get healthy, stay healthy and encourage those around me to be healthy.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Free Web Site Counter